Wednesday, February 3, 2010

There is still no word as of 6:45 am this morning as to when I will be starting my radiation treatments. I am trying to be as patient as possible, but it still weighs on my mind... I just want to get it started as soon as I possibly can.

I am managing to keep fairly busy with the barrage of appointments that I have to attend. Yesterday I drove down to London with my parents, Adam and Asia to have my brain MRI, and today I'm going back for my chest and abdominal CT scans.
I have two appointments scheduled for Thursday, one with my lawyer regarding a power of attorney and the other with the social worker (mentioned in a recent post?). We will be up again bright and early Friday morning to make the long trek back to London for my bone scan at 9:15.
I suppose the blessing in disguise here is that my steroids wake me up at like 6 am every morning anyway, so early morning appointments aren't as horrific as expected :)

I'm unsure when the results from all of the test will be back, but as I said, I will update when I find out more.

In addition to the MRI yesterday, I made an early morning trip into Sarnia to see my supervisors at the Red Cross and Bluewater Hospital. I had to inform my boss at the Red Cross that, given my situation, I would no longer be able to work for them. She was completely understanding (as one would hope) and informed me that she would keep me in the system in case I would like to come back and finish school in the future. Over the last few days, I've come to the conclusion that working there isn't the right move for me. It isn't that I don't want to, I just think that it is a little more stress on my body and spirit than I can handle at the moment. I spoke with Dr. Read (Radiation Oncologist) about it in our meeting, and she agreed. At the same time though, I feel as though quitting school is just giving this demon that much more control over my life. It's a hard pill to swallow. Informing the hospital in Sarnia that I will be unavailable to cover my volunteer shifts while I am undergoing treatments was hard pill number 2.


Randy and Pam Warner said...

Thanks for the update Meghan! Sounds like you will be busy in the next few days. We will be keeping in touch.

Love you,
Randy and Pam

Bluewater said...

I know it can't be easy writing these updates but I for one appreciate them very much. I am interested in how things are going and I pray for you each and every day. Stay strong.
Love Sharron

Margie said...

I think you have made the right decision to give up your volunteer work and school at this time. You will need to focus on staying strong and well during your treatments. After working most of the way thru my chemo and every day during my radiation, I was pooped. In hindsight it would have been a better idea to have taken that time for myself to reduce my stress from work, rest more, get some exercise, etc.

Happytrails said...

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you have made some very wise decisions regarding your work and school. I agree with Margie, you need your focus and strength on the upcoming treatments.

We continue to think about you and remember you in our prayers. Stay strong!!!

Mike and Gerri Jones

Lallen said...

One thing at a time Hun. Getting all your tests done and getting started on radiation should be priorities and you don't want to run yourself down. You need to focus your energy and strength on staying strong.
P.S. Let me know if you need a canine/snugglebug visit :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails