Friday, May 14, 2010

The Impact of Volunteering

"Everybody can be great because everybody can serve."

—Martin Luther King, Jr.


My goal is to pass along Meghans spirit, I want those who haven't yet been touched by her story to understand what she means to this world. I want to inspire others to pick up where their passed loved ones left off. Finish things set out for them. Move forward. Make an impact. 
I don't think that anyone would argue the benefits of volunteer service both for the volunteer and the recipient of that service. It strengthens community, there are health benefits for the individual and it leaves a lasting impact on the lives of those involved. 

In a report released by United Healthcare and Volunteer Match, they found that;

-More than 68% of those who volunteered in the past year report that volunteering made them feel physically healthier.
-29% of volunteers who suffer from a chronic condition say that volunteering has helped them manage their chronic illness.
-89% of volunteers agree that volunteering improved their sense of well-being.
-73% of volunteers feel that volunteering lowered their stress levels.
-92% of volunteers agree that volunteering enriches their sense of purpose in life.
-More than three-quarters of volunteers who participate in service activities through work report that they feel better about their employer because of the employer’s involvement in their volunteer activities.

Volunteer work is an excellent method of making positive gains for yourself both physically and mentally. You become part of something. There are tangible results to your work. The intangible results are the things you learn about yourself and your community. You Improve yourself.

Meghan had very clear and distinct goals that were all are centered around self improvement and learning through service. Whether it was forcing herself in front of her peers to teach, move to a completely foreign place or get to a certain level or aerobic health, Meghan was hell-bent on self-improvement. Which is something I think everyone needs a dose of now and again. Raw determination to get what you want and where you want to be.  

I was fortunate to have more than a dose (7:30 wake up calls to go to the gym may qualify as unfortunate or an overdose,) and plan to do all I can with that massive(and often forced) injection of sheer will-power. I am going to travel to 23 countries because Meghan would have. I am going to run a half marathon because Meghan would have. I am going to volunteer in an Indian orphanage because Meghan would have. I am going to inspire you to get what you want because Meghan would have. She already has for so many. 
-Adam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Adam, I just know that Meg is smiling down on you right now so proud of the person you are and the one you strive to be each day. Your words and posts are really helping me right now to get in to a positive space with all of this and make a difference. You are amazing just like your wife :) I hope we get to meet up while you are in South East Asia/Oz xxx

Michelle Noftall said...

Adam - Meghan was a lucky woman to have you in her life. Reading all these posts and stories has really made me take a long, hard look at my own life and things I need to change. I will be volunteering (registered last week) at the Relay for Life here in my city (Cambridge, ON)and will be doing it in honour of Meghan and because I have talked about volunteering for quite some time now. Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing about all of your adventures!

Related Posts with Thumbnails